Sunset Run - My First 5k

Overall I think I did really well. My goal was to beat 25:56. That is what I had ran 2 days prior to the race. My time was 25:06. I haven't seen the official results. That is what a friend of Genoa's told her. I didn't get the time at the end. I was more concerned with getting across the line. I didn't even think to look up at the clock. Also, my watch battery died during the race.

Here are the overall race results and by age groups.

My first mile was 7:44. When I saw that I knew I had went out too fast. The second mile time was 15:55. So that would be 8:11 for the 2nd mile. Not a big a jump, 27 seconds. I didn't realize I slowed so much that last mile and 1/10. That time was 9:51. For my first race I'll just accept that final section and try to do better next time.

This being my first race I found it very interesting. All the cool runners up front all with their shirts off (egos). Female runners all tanned up with their skin tight shorties. I understand feeling good about yourself but hey, does everybody have to see everything?

Most of the crowd started off running way too fast. I just sort of hung towards the back to determine how things were going. After about 2 or 3/10 I started moving up through the crowd. That is why my first mile was so fast. I think I passed half the crowd during this time.

During the majority of the race a couple of men staid right with me. One older and the other about my age. The one guy about my age kept trying to push ahead of me. He finally fell back.

That last section of the race was a long gentle incline. I had to slow down and was huffing quite a bit on that.

Toward the end, when I could see the clock, I started a kick. I surprised myself with the kick I had at the end. Made me wonder if I could have had a better pace during portions of the race.

Regardless of where I came in the standings, I'm very pleased.

This Friday evening 8pm start sort of threw me off schedule. Friday's have been my off days. No early Saturday morning run this week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment