Run and Snow

Kind of an interesting experience running in the snow today. Quite often I would have flakes get caught in my eye lashes or go straight into my mouth. Kind of fun.

What I have figured out about running in the cold:
  1. Two layers is about all my body can stand. I have went out a couple of times with two shirts and then a thin pullover wind breaker. I quickly get hot in that setup. Two shirts, gloves and a hat is what I start with. About 20 minutes into the run I have to come out of the gloves. Just carrying them wrapped in my hands keeps my hands warm. I can come out of the hat but the wind running over my sweaty head is a bit too much cold.
  2. Running in the cold can be done. It's all about your attitude. If you let the cold determine what you are going to do, the cold will win. I haven't tried rain and cold. Now that might be the thing that stops me from running.
  3. Long pants are necessary. Before it got really cold, starting a couple weeks back, I could still run comfortably in my shorts. Now, no sir, not at all. There has been one day when I had on long legged base layer and then long pants. That is too much heat retention for me.
  4. When the sun is out it feels so much better. During the summer when the sun is out it is a real downer and can be dangerous. During the winter and especially when the sun hasn't shown in a while it's AWESOME. Surprisingly it quickly raises my body temperature when the sun is shining brightly. Go Sun!
  5. Dogs sure are cranky during the winter. During the summer you will barely see a dog. Right now I can't make it past any house without the dog going nuts. I'm not a dog fan at all. They are certainly not a fan of runners. Back when I walked all the time I never noticed the dogs barking at me. Now that I'm running I get some very vicious barks and growls. I've had a few loose ones follow right on my heels down the road.
Winter can be beautiful but this one has sure started out to be a rough one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment