Cumberland Island - Day 3
on Friday, August 14, 2009
Labels:
Cumberland Island,
Hiking
After the long nights sleep we got up about 7am. The humidity was already terrible. I just went ahead and put back on my wet clothes. The wet clothes had been hanging on our line all night and were still just as wet as the night before.
We ate some breakfast. We had the Date Nut Bulgar from Enertia. I don't think I would purchase that one again. I didn't like it but Stuart did.
After eating we decided to rearrange our tarp we had strung up between the trees. That was aggravating to say the least. We did get it setup a bit differently to try to cover the tent better for when the rains came again.
Yes, the mosquito's were out in force as soon as we got out of the tent for the morning.
About 10:30 we headed out on our hike. We hiked from our campground, Stafford, to Plum Orchard mansion. That was via the beach and the Duck House trail. The walk on the beach was awesome. I don't think the Duck House trail is used very much. It was well worn but was hard to find right off the beach. It was hidden by the bushes. That trail went through a couple of swampy areas that made us both nervous (we were thinking about gators and snakes but never saw any). We were also concerned about it being hot but there was a nice breeze most of the way down this trail. I started feeling light-headed during this portion of the hike. Could have been I wasn't drinking enough water or just the heat.
Right before arriving at Plum Orchard we crossed the Main Road. A car with a Maryland tag met us. It was a strange site to meet a car on the Island. Just after that a couple of men came toward us coming from the Plum Orchard area. I asked them if it was much further and they said 10 minutes. They also said that the house was open when they were up there.
When we rounded the corner to the house a park service truck was leaving. I bet the guy just closed the house. It would have nice if he would have asked us if we wanted to go in the house but he didn't even say boo to us.
The house is an amazing site to see, especially being on this island.
We walked around the house for a minute or two. Went behind to figure out where the supposed drinkable water might be. We looked at the water sources for a couple of minutes and decided to come back in a few minutes. There were quite a number of picnic tables under the gorgeous trees. We sat on one and ate snacks for a little bit. It started to rain so we sat on the porch of the house on what appeared to be a swinging bed. We sat around for quite a while resting, snacking, and drinking water.
We filtered some water from the water hose out of a ziploc bag. The water had no bad taste or ill affects.
We were at the house for probably 1.5 hours.
Back towards the campground we went. Took us about the same time to get back. During this entire hike we saw two boar and two armadillos.
The closer we got back to the campground the more it started to rain. By the time we got back it was full on downpour. It was about 5 or 6pm. Stuart wanted to get in the ocean and wait out the rain. It was lightning quite a bit so I convinced him to wait for that to stop. After 15 minutes or so it did and we both went to the ocean. The wind was blowing and made it a bit cool. The rain was still coming down. The waves were up. We just hung out in the shallows, waist deep, for 1.5 hours. I just had enough so we went back towards the campground.
We decided to fix supper on the porch of the bathroom house. During that time it finally stopped raining and also go full on dark. After eating we both showered and put on our dry clothes and we were down for the night.
I didn't go directly to sleep like the previous night but it didn't take long to go out.
0 comments:
Post a Comment